Words Matter: “its infinite, unthinkable costs”

I was going to start my new blog with a post talking about books that inspired me to think differently or strategically. My plans changed while reading in Apple News Wednesday morning. I clicked on this poem ‘Benediction’ written by Joshua Bennett which was shared from The Atlantic under their books section. I have been itching to start thinking about the most uncontrollable strategic variables facing people and organizations now. BUT, Apple’s algorithms know I find poetry important. 

https://apple.news/A-fDI4CH3TlaBJDcC9_lEGg

This poem reminded me that change begins with listening. Listening is not just about hearing a  person’s words but hearing what is the story behind the words. Poetry challenges me to listen harder. Bennett is telling his story of being a black person from Brooklyn. Read the whole poem. The words matter. They are chosen for a reason and from an experience. These are words and sentences are art and have great meaning. I am still unpacking his thoughts and letting the story change and inform me. These words below were the lines that I was first able wrestle with.

“God bless the vulnerable
ones. How they call us
toward love & its infinite,
unthinkable costs.”


Wow, ‘love & its infinite, unthinkable costs’!! Today I will look and listen to vulnerable ones in the work places and communities where I spend my time. Six words demand my attention. And for you, where will you find the vulnerable ones? They may be a neighbor, an employee, a coworker, a customer, family or even yourself. If we all listen carefully, maybe the “infinite, unthinkable costs” actually becomes something understandable and doable. Is the infinite to a vulnerable one the same infinite to someone who has what they need or has not experienced similar trauma.  


I struggle to understand our country at this moment. I think a democracy is like “love & its infinite, unthinkable costs” found in these lines of poetry. Have the past few years become a time when the norm is, ‘How dare you be vulnerable’? Needed actions in a democracy become doable when we listen and act together. Look for the stories! 


Thank you Joshua Bennett for your words and risk taking in this poem. I am looking forward to reading your new book!


Joshua Bennett is an English professor at Dartmouth College and the author of the forthcoming poetry collection The Study of Human Life. 

  • If you would like to pre-order his new book click here to find a way to the good people at Bookshop who work to support local bookstores. I will get a small commission from the order: https://bookshop.org/a/85951/9780143136828


Interesting V.U.C.A. things I read about this week which we made think about the future:


Education: The Nevada State Education Association estimated that roughly 3,000 teaching jobs remained unfilled across the state’s 17 school districts as of early August. In a January report, the Illinois Association of Regional School Superintendents found that 88 percent of school districts statewide were having “problems with teacher shortages” — while 2,040 teacher openings were either empty or filled with a “less than qualified” hire. And in the Houston area, the largest five school districts are all reporting that between 200 and 1,000 teaching positions remain open.—Washington Post,  Hannah Natanson, 08/03/2022


Logistics: Shipping firm Maersk, a barometer for global trade, warns of weak demand and warehouses filling up- CNBC, Karen Gilchrist 08/03/2022


Food Supplies: Officials are racing to clear a backlog of millions of metric tons of grain trapped by Russia’s invasion after the first shipment left the country, a task that could take months in an effort to boost wartime exports.- Wall Street Journal, Jared Malsin and Alistair MacDonald, August 2, 2022 09:30 am ET

What news items caused you to think about the future? 


May your day be filled with creativity and collaboration,

Van







  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Airlines Prepared for What Scenarios?

(Fewer) Words Matter